The City Different
Santa Fe (New Mexico), city, capital of New Mexico, and
seat of Santa Fe County, on the Santa Fe River, in the north central part
of the state. A year-round tourist center situated near the Sangre de Cristo
Mountains, the city is particularly noted for its Indian and Spanish-style
handicrafts. Other manufactures include nuclear instruments and dishware.
Among the points of interest here are the Palace of the Governors (1610);
the State Capitol (1966); the San Miguel Mission (1610, reconstructed early
18th century); the French-Romanesque-style Cathedral of Saint Francis (begun
1869); four State of New Mexico museums; the Museum of Fine Arts (1917);
the Museum of International Folk Art (1952); and the Museum of Indian Arts
and Culture (1987). The city is the seat of the College of Santa Fe (1947),
Saint John's College at Santa Fe (1964), the Institute of American Indian
Arts (1962), a community college, and the New Mexico School for the Deaf.
Performing groups include the
Santa Fe Opera, the Orchestra of Santa Fe, and the Community Theatre.
The region of Santa Fe, then occupied by the Tewa Indians, was explored
(1540) by Francisco V·squez de Coronado for the Spanish crown. Colonization
began in 1598, and Santa Fe was founded (1610) to serve as the capital of
New Mexico. In 1680 the Spanish were driven from New Mexico by the Pueblo
Indian revolt. They reconquered the region in 1692, and Santa Fe was again
occupied in 1693. Zebulon M. Pike explored the area for the U.S. government
in 1807, but Spain did not relinquish control until 1821, when the region
came under Mexican control. Trade with the United States over the Santa
Fe Trail began soon thereafter. Stephen W. Kearny led U.S. troops in occupying
Santa Fe during the Mexican War (1846).
New Mexico was ceded to the United States in 1848, and Santa Fe became the
territorial capital in 1851; it remained the capital when New Mexico achieved
statehood in 1912. During the American Civil War, Santa Fe was briefly occupied
by Confederate forces in 1862. The city's economy benefited from the establishment,
in the early 1940s, of major U.S. atomic research facilities at nearby Los
Alamos. Population (1980) 48,953; (1990) 55,859.
Quoted from Encarta 1994 Edition
Want to learn more about the region's Pueblo
My Guestbook View
Trademark © 1999-2006 Alice Kitselman,
owner - Dragonfly Dream TM